Every day we receive many Macbooks being damage by liquids like coke, juice, sodas, coffee, tea or other kinds of party liquids like Beer, Whiskey, Cocktails or plain water. Many customers ask us what to do in case of liquid damage as they have already damage their machines so it’s too late to explain procedure. Now you can know the procedure to save your macs in case of liquid damage before it is too late.
What happens when liquid spills on mac? Do liquid spill really damage laptop? Why computers don't work after liquid spill?
Usually liquid wont damage your computer right away in fact most of the macs are damaged by actual user itself and not the liquid. What we have seen is after spilling liquid every person tries to turn on their macs or if it is already on they don’t turn it off instead they run around to get tissue or towel to dry it.
Mac Liquid Spill Repair Hong Kong will tell you step by step procedure what to do in case of Liquid spill but before that you must know what kind of liquid you have spilled on computer. We have divided liquids in 3 types of categories:
1. Sugary drinks/Sticky Liquid - These are liquids that are sticky in nature due to presence of sweetener or sugar inside. These liquids always damages keyboards, trackpads and are most dangerous kinds of liquids e.g. Juice, Sodas, Coffee, Hot Chocolate, Milk etc.
2. Water base Drinks - These are drinks that are mixed with water. These may or may not have sugar inside so they are less dangerous like Green tea or Chinese tea.
3. Alcoholic Drinks – With this category people have wrong assumption that alcohol does not damage computer but actually it does as they have water or sugar inside like beer, vodka, whiskey and Pinna Colada which girls always spill :)
Now as you are familiar with categories of Liquids so we can proceed to procedure of saving mac. Computer Repair Hong Kong will tell you what to do in case of Liquid Spill in the procedure below.
- 1. DON'T TURN ON YOUR MAC. If it is already ON then hold down power button for 5 seconds to power it off.2. Remove any charger or battery connected to your mac. MacBook’s where you cannot remove battery DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN Just leave the battery inside.3. If the liquid went onto your keyboard then flip the computer upside down (see picture) and keep it at the corner of the table in same position so liquid can drain out and this will prevent liquid from entering further onto logic board.Leave it in that position overnight if you spilled liquid at night. If in Daytime then bring it to MacWin Technology immediately as our Water damage experts will clean your mac and save it from damaging completely.4. DONT USE HAIR DRYER - Every person tries to use hair dryer as they think it will dry out the liquid but instead they end up burning the vital logic board components and specially keys on the keyboard. Using hair dryer will not dry the liquid that has already entered mac no matter for long you dry it.
Another reason not to use dryer is, everyone after blow-drying try to turn ON their computer and that’s when the board blows off.5. Bring your computer to Liquid damage repair Professionals and not to any computer store as most of the cases technicians don’t know how to deal with liquid damage boards and they try to clean the board with various Chemicals. We have also seen cases where technicians attempting to turn ON macs in spite of knowing it is liquid damage.
Dos and Don'ts
- Do not turn ON your mac at any cost before you take it for repair.
- Remember you spilled a drink be ready to pay for it and accept your mistake, don't try to save few dollars on cleaning and don't try to do things on your own as 99% cases it gets worst.
- Bring your mac to Macbook Repair HK at earliest possible as in that cases damage will be minimum.
- Some cases people just turn on their mac after spill and it starts working and they think OK nothing happened. We have seen cases where people used there mac for 2 days and then suddenly board or screen blows off. Don’t think it is working now and nothing will happen, you must not turn it ON. Liquid stays inside and will move around, secondly it starts rusting board components so take it for cleaning immediately.
- Keep tissue on keyboard while carrying your mac to a repair store as it will absorb all extra liquid while your mac is moving and also it prevents screen from being damage.
- Do not use any chemicals or house hold cleaning liquids to clean your Mac.
- Do not follow instructions online and videos to open and repair your mac yourself. Remember professionals know what they are doing and this there daily job so let them do the things in right way.
Follow the steps provided by Water Damage Laptop Repair HK and your mac will be fine. Remember never turn ON liquid damage computers and must seek for professional help immediately. Contact MacWin Technology Hong Kong (852) 64037272